Monday, March 2, 2015

The CEO's Statement On Work-Life Balance

reposted from

LEADERSHIP  3,139 views

The CEO's Statement On Work-Life Balance

Liz, I want to tell my staff members how I feel about work-life balance.
- How do you feel about it, Chuck?
I think it’s important. It’s important for my staff members, and it’s important for me.
- Do you struggle to make time to do the things you want to do?
Heck yes! That’s my biggest problem. Now that the business is really going, I’m not worried about household income anymore. My kids are finished with college. I work all the time, though. My wife Mary really complains about it.
- Why? You have excellent leaders on your team. Why can’t you turn out the light in your office and go home?
Partly  because there’s so much going on all the time — those talented VPs you mention all want time to talk with me, all the time – and partly because I’m a workaholic, I guess.
- That’s a good observation to make. Your work grows your flame, for sure.
It does.
- You can imagine how Mary would feel to see you working all the time and to know you love your work….
You mean it might seem like I put my work ahead of her.
- Anyone could easily get that impression.
She says that sometimes.
- Do you plan vacations ahead of time? Do you know when you’ll be able to take time off this year?
Kind of. We have a family wedding in July.
- That doesn’t count. I mean total relaxation time. You’re the CEO. If you don’t know how to relax, who else in your company will?
I’m not that great at relaxing.
- It’s a good muscle to grow. You could practice. What if you took off one morning a week, and walked the dog?
My doctor says the same thing.
- So that’s your doctor, me and Mary all singing the same song. You’re saying that you want your staff to know that their personal lives are important. Why not lead by example? The work will always  be there when you get back.
I hate to let people down.
- One could make the argument that you’re letting them down now. If you get sick, you’ll really let them down.
You make a good point. Back to my team – should I make a statement about work-life balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment